How My Yoga Practice Is Healing My Trauma Around The Tragedy At Michigan State Univeristy

 I am still feeling a bunch of feels about the senseless shootings at Michigan State University this week. I am still a little wobbly.



MSU is more than just my alma mater. You see, I was born and raised in Detroit
But I GREW UP at MSU
I met my husband there
My eldest daughter just graduated from MSU last year
My dad earned his master's degree from State
I have countless friends and family members who attended this amazing institution
I have friends who work there
I have friends whose children, nieces or nephews who currently attend MSU
My Michigan home is in EL and last night I heard helicopters flying over my house all night long.
Yep, I can still feel it. My sympathetic nervous system is working in overdrive.
My plan for relief is radical self care.
I am back in the sun and I plan to spend time basking in it.
I am dropping back into my body with long walks, yogasana, staying hydrated, eating mostly raw fruits and veggies (it feels good right now)
AND, when I am grounded in my body, I return to my breath.
The breath is everything... EVERYTHING.
I will be practicing the two breath awareness techniques that I just posted about on my podcast.
It's just so weird how timely they are right now.



Crocodile is a pose that allows us to feel the breath down deep into the body and in the back of our lungs. It's such a helpful technique to help us feel grounded. Listen to the episode here.
If crocodile pose is not available to you, or if you want to explore another way to access "belly breathing", listen to this episode called, "Belly Breathing 3.0".

At Home Yoga Classes At Your Fingertips!
I have been very active on YouTube. I have been posting "Practice Yoga With Me" and affirmation meditation videos weekly. I invite you to practice with me. Check out my latest yin-inspired yoga class! I love yin yoga. It gives me an opportunity to deeply feel my muscles and the deep tissues in my body. Give it a try! If you need something more vigorous, try a short, sweet sun salutation practice.

I am providing all the tools that you need to create a sustainable at-home practice. Just minutes a day can make a huge difference in your life. Give it a try! And please consider subscribing to my channel so that you never miss a video.

Until next time, take really, really good care!
Sybil


Comments